Should you need to travel by plane with one or more of your pets, you will need to know a few things to make your trip successful, not only for you but for the comfort of your animal.
Depending on which airline you are flying, there will be specific regulations regarding pets. Contact the airline you are flying to make sure you follow the guidelines.
WHAT TO BRING
1. Bringing a crate for your pet is essential. Make sure that your animal has enough room to stand up. Also, it should be able to absorb any accidents. The crate should be labeled with “Live Animal,” including your full name, phone number, and a picture of your animal.
2. You’ll want to include dry food in the crate for your pet to eat during the flight.
3. Set a meeting with your veterinarian to have a pet checkup. You’ll want to make sure that all the vaccinations current.
4. Have your pet obtain a microchip so that he or she is easy to identify. Also, make sure that your pet has a collar with the up-to-date information including name and your phone number.
5. If possible, book a flight without any layovers. The last thing you want is for your animal to have to wait unattended to on the tarmac.
CABIN OR CARGO?
Another consideration you want to make is whether to put your pet in the cabin with you, or in the cargo hold. Under specific airline guidelines, pets who weigh less than twenty pounds can typically fly as a carryon in the cabin. If you decide to leave your pet in the cargo hold, make sure to familiarize yourself with the temperature both in-flight and while parked on the ramp. This way, you can gauge the best possible conditions, and make the best decision – whether on-boarding your animal, leaving him or her in the cargo hold, or leaving your animal at home with a pet-sitter.
KNOW WHERE YOU’RE GOING
It’s important to know where you are going so that you can measure how your pet will fit in with his or her surroundings. You can also look up rest areas on the way to wherever you are traveling. Wherever your destination is, you’ll want to look for parks and vets. This way, you can provide your pet with the recreation he or she needs along with medical assistant should it become necessary.
Coming to Panama City Beach and looking for reliable airport transportation? Give Sunset Airport Transportation a call today!